CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, November 17, 2008

Is she NUTS?

So today I began training for a marathon.

I suppose that's a good beginning. This is something I never thought I would have the determination to do. I'm just your average, "a few extra pounds" American, who's general idea of exercise usually involves walking to the mailbox and back. So imagine everyone's surprise when I proudly announced "I'm running a marathon!".

How The Great Marathon Endeavor began.

I receive weekly email newsletters from PETA, most of which I glance at the subject line and delete. However, this one was different. It spoke of a marathon in San Francisco, hosted by Kaiser Permanente. It told of all the charities the marathon helped. And it invited me to join! At first I thought "NO way would I ever be able to do that!". Then they offered me a free personal trainer and I thought "MAYBE I could do that". Before I knew it I had a new goal.....and a $40 registration fee.

After I paid and registered, I had my doubts. I had attempted exercise plans before. I always run at least 2 days in a row. Then....well.....I don't. But then I realized that this was different. This wasn't really about me. I mean sure, I'll lose a few pounds, which will be great. But really, this is about helping people and helping animals.

Along with my extensive training schedule for the next few months, I will also be raising money for PETA through my involvement with the PETA Pack. My goal is $1000 by February 1, 2009, the day of the race.

This is something completely outside my comfort zone. I'm hoping it will change my life....or at least my waistline....

So this blog will follow my trials and successes for the next 11 weeks to prepare for what I shall call....

The Great Marathon Endeavor.
February 1, 2009
San Francisco

0 comments: