CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Accomplishment doesn't even begin to describe it.

Oh. My. Gosh.
It's really happening!!!
I'm really running in a 5k!!!
I just got my race info packet in the mail yesterday, and it came with my race number and bib to wear. I am so excited and terrified at the same time!!! As of today, there are 17 days until the race. Do you know how fast those 17 days are going to go?!!! Oh man. I'm totally trying not to freak out.

I know that I said that before this came along, my idea of exercise was walking to the mailbox and back. I'm not sure if I was really clear on just how out of shape I am.... ;-)
I never received higher than a C in any PE class I EVER took. This wasn't because I goofed off or didn't try hard enough. It was because I wasn't athletic enough. No matter how hard I tried, I could never run a mile. One time I was literally 30 seconds past the cut off time. I was so excited! Of course that year I had Hitler reincarnated as a woman for a gym teacher, and an F I received. My mom tells me that when I was really young, a doctor told her that I would never be athletic or good at sports. How does a doctor even KNOW that when a kid is so young?? However, he was right.
So imagine my (and everyone I know) surprise when something inside of me said "GO FOR IT!" when I read about this marathon. Not only am I raising money for an amazing organization, but I'm challenging myself and everything I thought I knew about my own abilities.
I almost cried today when I ran a full mile. I only stopped twice for a couple seconds each. I feel like I am breaking the mold that was forced upon me by some doctor so many years ago.

Alex (our team captain PETA staffer) said in a recent email that at least half of us will cry when we cross the finish line. I can guarantee that I will be one of them.

0 comments: