CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

the lake.

SO.
I've been running, roadkill and all, on Cameron Park Drive, much to the dismay of most of my family and friends.
Today, I discovered that the under-appreciated Cameron park Lake has a jogging trail! With mile markers! WHAHOO!
So I drove down to the lake today and did my run there. It's 1.2 miles all the way around the lake, and by the grace of G-d, I can actually do that. If you had asked me about running 1.2 miles 3 months ago, I would have laughed at you. Now it's like "1.2 miles? no biggie. pshhht!"

Another awesome thing about running around a lake: the scenery! It's gorgeous. Especially at sunset. Of course, the park is supposed to close at sunset, so if you're still watching the sun set while you're running, you'd best get your ass moving to the finish line before they close the gate on you and you have to spend the night with the ducks.

Of course with the awesome comes the not-so-awesome. There are a few not-so-awesomes about the lake.
1) Duck crap. It's everywhere. Sometimes I feel like I'm trying more to do a complicated cardio dance than a run because I have to dodge all the, ahem, piles.
2) Random floating fluff. I'm really not sure if it's some sort of plant or if it's duck feathers. It's white and fluffy and it floats randomly through a good quarter mile of the trail. I accidentally inhaled some today. Not fun.
3) Lake-smell. This also is only about a quarter mile of the trail. It basically smells like a moldy bathroom. But hey, whatever makes me run faster, right?

So those are the only not-so-awesomes, and I think it's totally worth it. No roadkill, no hoots nor hollers. I think I can live with it! haha.

So the other day my aunt was like "HEY! I have this totally awesome book you should read!". Ok, so my aunt doesn't actually use the phrase "totally awesome" but it was something like that. Anyway, she lent me this book that you all should read.

From the cover it seems like one of those crappy "YAYYY YOU CAN DO THIS!!!!" books. Trust me, this book was written by one of us. It was written by a Sacramento woman who, like me, went from couch potato to marathon runner. Except, not like me, she's actually running a full 26.2 mile marathon. WOW.
Anyway, it's about her training, and it's absolutely hilarious. I literally laughed out loud about every 2 pages. Read the Amazon plot summary, I'm horrible at summarizing without going on and on and on and.....well yeah.

In other, more important news, my Spaghetti Feed was an AMAZING success! I had some crappy friends who didn't show up, but my family really pulled together and made up for those crappy friends! I was able to raise $100! WOOHOO!
Also, I have had an amazing number of bay-area people I don't know donating to my cause. This is amazing, and I'm pretty sure I have the Amazing Alex to thank for putting the word out about me. Here's a summary of how wonderful and amazing these people are:

* Lisa Towell and Dave Cortright: $250 (WOOOOOOW!!)
* Beth Levinson: $150
* Dyanna Csaposs: $50
* Thoi Pham: $50
* Jane McCurdy: $30

I have never met these people, and they have collectively donated $530, which is 53% of my goal! I did have the honor to meet Beth at the PETA Holiday Party, and she is wonderful. I am really hoping to meet the rest of this amazing group of angels at the race or at some point!

Also a HUGE thank you to the many friends and family who have graciously donated. I will be making a list to put on my blog at the end of the fund raiser so everyone can see how wonderful and amazing you are!

In the mean time, if you haven't had a chance to donate, you have 11 days and some change! Here is the link in case you didn't get it the first 16764565489 times I posted/sent/texted/yelled it:
http://www.active.com/donate/PETAPack/jencar

I'm officially right now at 68% of my goal, only 32% more to go! That's only $320!! WHAHHOO!

1 comments:

Shannyn said...

I am so proud of what you're doing! Not only are you breaking out of your own comfort zone, but you are running for what you believe in!

I am so glad you are getting donations. I have some hangups with PETA personally, but wouldn't want to discourage you from doing something you are so passionate about.

No matter how I feel about PETA, know that I admire your work, and anyone that can get off the couch and onto the pavement to run gets my admiration!! :)